CAL Sports Academy Travel Softball - 2012
CAL Sports Travel Softball program was designed to create additional opportunities to girls who are committed to playing competitive softball.
Our Mission: CAL Sports Academy was founded to provide positive alternative sport programs for adolescents. Our goals are to instill leadership qualities in each participant with “a can do” attitude by introducing developing sports training.
Our motto, “Strength through Sports”, applies to strength of mind, body, and spirit. Our academy focuses on integrity, credible sports education, and commitment to results that exceed expectations, and the belief that children need good role models both inside and outside of their homes. All of our work is youth-centered and strives for the highest possible quality. We bring a developmental approach and a community-wide perspective to everything we do.
GUIDELINES FOR TRY-OUTS:
All interested softball players will have a minimum of 5 days to qualify for either the 14U or 16U programs.
Watch for more information soon regarding tryouts.
Choosing the members of the 14U and 16U teams is the responsibility of the Head Coach, Carol Atkinson in conjunction with the involvement of the entire softball coaching staff. Coaches from both the 14U and 16U programs will evaluate players based on own ability.
All players will be provided an equal opportunity to demonstrate their proficiency in a skill in as fair and objective setting as possible.
Players will be evaluated on their skills in both offensive and defensive situations: Base running, sliding, fielding, throwing, catching, pitching and hitting (bunting, Slapping).
• Base running speed (home to first, approximating 60ft.) – assessing speed, quickness in starting and running mechanics.
• Fielding ground balls – assessing the ability to move through the ball, to control glove position and mechanics of approaching, gathering in, and ability to return the throw.
• Fielding fly balls, assessing the ability to judge the flight of the ball in the air, ability to get to the ball before it reaches the ground, and mechanics necessary to field a ball in flight and make a throw after a catch.
• Throwing – assessing the ability to throw the ball with speed, power and accuracy with the proper mechanics.
• Hitting – assessing the ability to bunt, slap and hit the ball off live pitchers or a pitching machine with proper mechanics
• Pitching – Evaluating the pitchers ability to pitch in a windmill fashion and their ability to deliver the ball with speed accuracy and control.
GUIDELINES FOR TRY-OUTS CONTAINED
• Catching – assessing the ability to throw the ball from a distance of home to first, second and third base with quickness and accuracy as well as the overarm strength.
• Demonstrate the ability to block a pass-ball thrown into the ground.
Athletes will also be evaluated on their ability to take instruction from the coaches during the course of the tryouts. There will likely be instruction provided to all of the athletes in attendance to demonstrate or show a desired technique for the activity being evaluated. The goal of this exercise is to make sure that all of the participants receive the same instruction before they are evaluated.
The team will be chosen at the conclusion of the final tryout day. The team may or may not be announced that evening. The team will also be posted on the www.calsportsacademy.com website. An athlete who is not selected for the team(s) may request a subsequent meeting with the head coach, to further discuss their evaluation.
TEAM FEES: CAL Sports Academy's 2012 Softball Travel fees TO BE DETERMINED per player (if paid in Cash or via Credit Card or PayPal) as we are in the process of selecting 4 tournaments and 4 practices per week for each team; fees will cover Insurance, 4 tournaments, field rental fees, uniforms, equipment, administrative cost, coaches’ salaries for games and practices, insurance and miscellaneous expenses.
*Note (Tournament/Participation Fee): If any team has less than 12 players, the tournament/participation fee cost will slightly increase.