AAU / Travel Tryout Tips
CAL Sports Travel / AAU Basketball Team Tryouts Tips For Players
What CAL Sports AAU Basketball team coaches are looking for when selecting players for a team:
Make a Good First Impression
• You Never Get a 2nd Chance to Make a Good 1st Impression.
• Come to try-outs looking like a basketball player.
• Show us, don't tell me what you can do.
• ALWAYS try your hardest and give your best effort! There is no substitute for hard work.
• People have different levels of talent, but EVERYONE can try. It takes no talent to hustle!
• Effort/hustle will ALWAYS be acknowledged and rewarded.
• Basketball is a thinking game.
• Concentration is essential to good performance.
• How focused is a player during drills, instructing, and to observe and adapt.
• Be a good listener -- be quiet and listen.
Enthusiasm and Team Skills – Attitude!!!
• Enthusiasm is contagious.
• Enthusiasm builds unity and togetherness.
• Make sure it's controlled enthusiasm.
Sportsmanship and Competitiveness
• Great competitors respect their opponents.
• Competing means being able to accept winning and losing a ball game.
• Good players and teams are highly disciplined.
• Discipline is personal commitment.
• You all have different levels of ability and skill.
• The coach must combine and refine the collective talents to build a "team."
T.E.A.M – TOGETHER.EVERYONE.ACHIEVE.MORE.
• Consider factors such as conditioning, speed, strength, and agility also as elements that can and should be evaluated.
Skills That Will Be Evaluated By The Coaches:
• With Pivoting
• Quick Star/Stop
• Cross-over Dribble
• Changes of Speed
• Speed Dribble
• Chest Pass
• Bounce Pass
• Overhead Pass
• Baseball Pass
• Right Handed Layup
• Left Handed lay-up
• Jump shooting
• Jump Shot off Pass and Dribble
• Footwork and positioning
• Lateral movement
• Boxing Out
• Team Offensive Skills
• Team Defensive Skills
|OTHER POINTS TO REMEMBER:
• Don't underestimate your chances of
making the team - you have no idea what
the coach wants for the team.
• Some pretty good players have been cut
and used it as motivation for future success.
• Attend all tryouts sessions and finish
MOST IMPORTANTLY - HAVE FUN!